While most people are familiar with THC and CBD in cannabis and hemp, many aren’t aware of another non-psychotropic phytocannabinoid, CBG, also called cannabigerol. It’s just one of 113 cannabinoids that have been discovered so far.
CBG Conversion and Extraction
CBGa is the precursor to other cannabinoids, including CBDa and THCa. In order to become THC and CBD, the enzymes in the plant will break down the CBGa, as well as exposure to ultraviolet light and / or heat. This converts them to THC or CBD.
In order to get more CBG out of the cannabis plant, breeders are cross-breeding and using genetic manipulation while growing new strains. On the extraction side, CBG must be extracted from the plant at around six weeks of growing time for an either-week growing cycle.
The Endocannabinoid System (ECS)
With the discovery of more and more cannabinoids, the endocannabinoid system in our bodies is able to achieve homeostasis and keep the body in balance. One way of doing this is to include more cannabinoids to the products created with cannabis.
Possible Medical Benefits of CBG
While there are always studies being done on the cannabis plant, scientists have discovered some possible medical benefits with the inclusion of CBG.
- CBG may be the perfect cannabinoid to treat glaucoma by reducing eye pressure.
- A 2015 study by the National Institutes of Health showed CBG to protect neurons related to Huntington’s Disease.
- Some studies show positive results with the use of CBG for inflammation related to IBS, or Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- In a study on the growth of cancer cells, CBG has been shown to block the receptors that cause cancer to grow, particularly with colon cancer.
- Bladder problems? CBG has also been shown to inhibit bladder muscle contractions.
- Animal studies show that CBG works with pain and heat receptors involved with blood pressure regulation.
- In a test tube study, CBG has shown antibacterial properties.
Strains With High CBG
While growers are still working on new genetics and breeding for more CBG, there are a few strains out there already with high levels of CBG. They include:
- Jack Frost
- Lemon Cream Diesel
- The White
- Super Glue
Questions on CBG? We have a few products with CBG, so ask on your next visit in.